08 May 2011

Illinois Brilliant Blue/Green Meteor 8MAY2011

Montrose, Illinois Brilliant Blue/Green Meteor ~12:00+ am (midnight) 8MAY2011
I saw what I think was a meteor tonight on my way home from work. I live in Illinois and I was traveling southbound just north of a small town on I-70 called Montrose just after midnight this morning, may 8th, 2011. I saw a blue-green meteor that was traveling in what looked like a westward direction. I frequently travel this late at night and have seen similar objects before but they were always white, very small and very fast. This was much larger and slower and such a brilliant blue and green colored light. It looked like it was so close, like it may have landed within a mile of where I was! It was an amazing sight to see, I'm just not sure exactly what it was. It was almost like seeing part of a firework falling to the ground. -Bobby Miller
-----------------------------
Another Event:
Elgin IL. 3:45am local time
Does anyone know anything of a meteor North America?
I saw one about an hour ago while taking a walk  Well... Elgin IL. 3:45am local time. Duration was in seconds.Looked like a ball of moving accross the sky with a bright gas trail around the ball and tail!
-John Lindsey

Anyone else witness this event? Have photos or video? Find a meteorite? If so please email your details of the meteor to LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Thank you!
 2011 is the "Year of Green Fireballs"!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Late last night(May 7, 2011) we saw a very large blue/green meteor go across the sky in Dennison, Texas along interstate 75. It lasted a while going across the sky. It looked BIG. I have never seen one that big and that color. I have only seen them like white stream of light. This was awesome! - Debbie Holmstrom

brad_krischel said...

I saw the exact same thing! I was on some country roads just north of Effingham. It was an incredible site to see. So far I have yet to see any othe reports of it.

Anonymous said...

We saw it here in Missouri too. Right across from chester illinois. Lit up the sky for a few seconds.