14 September 2011

Arizona, California, Nevada, Meteor Bolide? Event 14SEP2011

Arizona, California, Nevada, Meteor Bolide? Event 14SEP2011
AZ, NV, CA Meteor Bolide? 14SEP2011
v.1 (c) 2011 LunarMeteorite*Hunter / Google Earth
All Rights Reserved - No copy without prior written permission

Phoenix, AZ (USA) Time Here:[ 7:45pm ] Date Here[09/14/2011 ]
I was walking with my sister in law this evening and we both saw the weirdest thing in the sky. We thought it was a plane/jet that had caught fire or something, then we thought it was a shooting star, and before I could pull out my camera/phone it disappeared into the sky……very interesting. - Denise Adame Thank you Denise!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Large bolide observed South East of Las Vegas. Originated 20' above Southern horizon traveling South to East slight down angle. Bright as moon. Duration about three seconds, but observer did not see first part of fireball. Estimate durantion at five to six seconds. Fragmentation. Appeared to terminate in Arizona at least as far South and East of Las Vegas as Bull Head City, probably further. -Count Deiro  Thank you Count!

Tempe, Arizona
I just went for a quick lap around my apartments at McClintock and University here in Tempe. I started at approx 7:45pm GMT and while I was running south I saw a vibrant green fireball streak, break up and then it went dark. Unfortunately I wasn't close enough to hear a sonic boom but I did hear a very soft pop like a bottle rocket far away. It appeared to be 25 degrees West of South and was about 20-30 degrees from the horizon. It's was moving fairly slow so I assume it was far south. Can someone check Doppler? It must have had a better sighting further South like in Casa Grande or Tucson.-Erik  Thank you Erik!

Gilbert Arizona (Phoenix)
Direction: East to West
Time: 1945 Arizona Time (PST)
Description:
Very high intensity Greenish ball of fire from my location in Gilbert, AZ looking south. It was traveling very low East to West horizontal to the earth at a steady rate, actually slower than I expected. This is when we realized it wasn't someone shooting fireworks. We could see the smoke of trail behind it and it made a slight "hush" sound as it burned. It looked really close to our location but my guess is because of how large it really was. My view lasted for about 10 seconds, before it burned it self out. Very impressive, 2nd brightest meteorite I have ever seen.
Reports show that Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and North Phoenix could see it with color variation. NASA said that it could be part of an asteroid that had broken off.
Sorry no pictures from me, but there are reports of pictures and even video of it.
Thank you! -Britt Thank you Britt!

Phoenix, AZ ] Time Here:[1945 ] Date Here[9-14-11 ]
Saw a white/blue fireball (meteor?) traveling west to east at about 10-15˚ in the sky from this location at 1945. I can provide more details if needed.
Latitude: 33°29'39.12"N
Longitude: 112°16'47.08"W
Brian Griego  Thank you Brian!


Needles, CA Date and Time: 7:47 September 14 2011
I live in Needles, CA. It was raining tonight, so I went to open up all my windows in my house. As I opened up my blinds, I noticed a HUGE ball that was searing across the sky. It was moving horizontally. The meteor did not disapate. This meteor kept going without burning out (What I saw) and dissapeared behind the mountain behind my house. This meteor lasted about 6-8 seconds before it went behind the mountain. The brightness of this meteor was definitely brighter than anything I have seen. The color of this meteor was a strange blue, with an outline of green. The trail was the same color, not white. After a few seconds, there were pieces of debris that were detaching themselves from this meteor. They were in bright color of red. This particles falling from the meteor went in the direction of the end of the meteor. It did not fall directly to the ground. This could be because of the speed the meteor was traveling. The debris of this meteor were massive. They looked as if they were lava rocks. There were no sounds with this meteor. Of course it was raining, so there was probably not much I could hear, due to thunder and lightning. In all honesty, I was expecting an explosion, because this meteor did not die out before it had eventually hit the ground. Because of it's size, my mother and I went driving to see if we could find anything behind the mountains a few miles from my house. Of course we came back empty handed. This is something I have never seen before. Typically meteors burn out very quickly due to the atmosphere. But, this one didn't. Hope this helps! It would be great to actually figure out where this came from. :) -Michelle  Thank you Michelle!

Temecla, California
Saw a huge whiteish, blueish, then greenish, object blazing across, then downward out of sight in the Temecla, California sky at round 7:45pm this evening, Sept., 14, 2011 -Mari  
Thank you Mari!

Central San Diego, CA. about 7:40 pm. 9-14-11
Duration: 15 seconds. I was facing east, and saw the beginning of a white tail meteoroid from what seemed about the altitude of a jet plane. It then quickly got much larger. Much larger than any visible planets, but smaller than the moon. It burned bright green and then burt out quickly.
-Brandon J  Thank you Brandon!

Orange County, CA] Time Here:[7:45 pm ] Date Here[9/14/11 ]
Spotted a ball of light surrounded by green with a long white tail falling in an arc to Earth in the Eastern sky. It was clear and vivid. -Jan Thank you Jan!

Pahrump, NV
My husband and I were driving home from dinner when looking southeast, we saw a fireball with a blue green tail in the sky. There were three separate explosions. It kept doing after the first two but the third one extinguished the ball. When it exploded for the third time, we could see the explosion enter the sky around where the fireball was. We have never seen anything like it before. Do you have any information? We are located 60 miles west of Las Vegas. -Kim Young  
Thank you Kim!

Peoria, Az
Hi my husband and I live in Peoria Az. Our view out the back faces west around 8:30 tonight he yelled OMG! he said he just saw a huge fireball with quite a tail stream across the sky out our west facing windows. -Sheila Thank you Sheila!

La Mesa, CA
At about 8 p.m. tonight while driving in La Mesa, CA I saw what I think must be a meteor - VERY CLOSE! It looked like a ball of fire with a green "tail" and it appeared to zoom (faaassssst) down to the east of me a block or so away dropping behind a hospital near my house. I even drove around the hospital to see where it landed, but couldn't locate it. Very cool and freaky! Have you heard of anything in my area - La Mesa or El Cajon, CA? Thanks, -Kathy  Thank you Kathy!

Ramona, CA
Tonight, 9/14/11, approximately 750pm, I was driving home on Old Julian Highway in Ramona Ca and saw a slow moving, massive fireball that traveled across the sky, changing colors from white to red to green to white again before dropping out of site. I've never seen anything that impressive before. -Dee Thank you Dee!

Payson AZ
15 miles E/NE of Payson AZ on Westbound highway 260, 1/2 mile south of Fire Control Road 64 ] Time Here:[20:41 AZ time ] Date Here[ 14/09/2011]
While driving west/southwest on State Highway 260 just south of Fire Control Road 64 in Gila County, Arizona, I witnessed a very bright green fireball trailing a lot of debris. It was travelling roughly southeast to southwest, and I had good visual on it for about 6 seconds. This particular object was VERY low, almost horizon level. I lost sight of it due to terrain and tall Ponderosa pine forest. VERY impressive show, definitely the lowest and the biggest I have ever seen in 20+ years of skywatching. A wahoo moment for me. :) Regards and thanks, -Lanie Leonard  
Thank you Lanie!

Desert Center, CA 2150 14Sep11
Very bright saw it at about 45 degrees above the horizon, super long lasting (10 seconds?) fireball streaked across the southern sky from W to S. Appeared to sputter out when it got low, only a couple fingers above the horizon.
Rachel Woodard Thank you Rachel!

Southern California
 saw a green shooting star with purple pink tail entering earths atmosphere tonight at about 7:50pm in So. Cal. What was it? I would like more info please e-mail me very curious! -Kelly  Thank you Kelly!

near Boulder City, Nevada/Hoover Dam
Aprox. 1950 hours pacific time I saw what appeared to be an enormous fireball/meteor flying eastward illuminating the sky while driving southbound on Arizona us hwy 93. -Benjamin  
Thank you Benjamin!

Hemet,CA Date: 9 14 2011, Time: 7:45pm Pacific
While commuting home by bicycle from college in a south facing direction, I then noticed a bright green glowing object or meteor it had a bright green tip as mentioned with a wide white fan like tail almost bird like. It flew south east bound direction for about four to five seconds, it was amazing to see at this perspective, I have seen small ones in the past, but nothing like this one. Hope this helps with research and viewers around the world thanks for your site. Peace. -Joe Posadas. Thank you Joe!

Aguanga, CA. 
spotted a meteor from Highway 79 south and Highway 371 junction in Aguanga, CA. 9/14/2011 @ 7:45pm PST. Toward the South Eastern sky, east of Palomar Mountain Observatory. 
-Pat and Robin  Thank you Pat and Robin!

San Diego, CA
It was about 5 mins ago 7:50 9/14 when i saw a large ass shooting star. I told my girlfriend "look a shooting star!" and usually the star would die out before the other peoples reaction of looking at it but this one didnt . I caught it at half way from the middle of the sky and it lasted it seemed like 4 seconds untill it died out into the horrizon it was heading north east. I live in lemon grove which is in a part of san diego CA . I feel like the world is going to end with all these blackouts and meteorites. -Karla Thank you Karla!

Garden Grove, CA ] Time Here:[ 7:50] Date Here[ 9/14/11]
At 7:45/7:50 PST From Garden Grove in California. We observed a slow moving, falling object, seemingly burning up on its way down. Rather than a large meteor it seemed like many small ones clumped together. It was east of where we first saw it, falling north east. Rather large sighting, haven't seen anything that big before. -Wayne Thank you Wayne!

Las Vegas, NV 19:43 
My very first actual meteorite/comet. It was an incredible green-blue fireball with a little flame trail & a nice vapor trail too. I watched it cross the entire sky from west to east almost matching the horizon exactly, if it weren't dark outside already. I'll never forget that. I could've recorded it but I, like many people, couldn't take my eyes off of it. Please let me know if there are other reports of this sighting. Thank you, -Suzie  Thank you Suzie!

Pahrump, NV
We just got a call from Taryn,
Kat's daughter. She was driving on Pahrump Valley Blvd heading South in
the town of Pahrump. The light was not very high in the sky about 35 -
40 degrees. It was bright green and looked like a firework. She was able
to look at it for at least 5 seconds as it was heading East and South to
Las Vegas. No sonic boom was heard. Man -John  Thank you John!


Prescott, Arizona. Green Meteor 7:45 PM.
This is the meteor fireball I witnessed on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 when I was driving on Prescott Lakes Parkway to the south between Willow Lake Road and State Route 89 in Prescott, Arizona. It was 7:45 PM. The green glow was flying across my field of vision almost horizontally from west to east. It lasted for about 10 seconds before it disappeared behind a mountain. It was so huge that I thought it was a falling aircraft at first! I have never seen such a huge meteorite flying for such long duration. -Masayoshi Kaneda, Ph.D. in Mathematics  
Thank you Kaneda Sensei!


Ocean Beach, California at 7:43 pm
Mike P. Thank you Mike!

Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you! 2011 Year of Meteors!