26 November 2011

North Carolina Meteor 25NOV2011

Greensboro, North Carolina Meteor 1:20 am 25NOV2011
I was talking on the phone around 1:20 AM Nov 25 (Friday morning) and looked up to catch a bright, red, fiery thing falling. I was looking NorthEast at an angle of about 45 degrees, and the thing seemed to be falling slightly, but mostly moving from left to right. I don't know much about astronomy, so I don't know if it was a shooting star, but it didn't really look like one, since it was so red and the "star" part was bigger than I would expect. I hope this helps, and I would really like to know what exactly I saw that night. Thanks, Vivek Chavda  Thank you Vivek!

Greenville, North Carolina
We were heading home from a Thanksgiving Party when we saw what I thought a shooting star. It was a big white ball of light with a tail. It was huge compare to what I've ever seen before. It flashed and dissipated long enough for me to make a wish, about 3-5 seconds. We lived in Greenville North Carolina and we're heading north when we saw it. The exact time and date was Novermber 24, 2011 at 1:30 am Eastern time. We saw it on 11/25 at 1:34 AM. The size was about 10 times the size of the Northern star on a clear night as viewed from the south eastern US. When we saw it I immediately identified it as a meteor or asteroid due to size and length of time it crossed the sky. The arc suggested it passed between the earth and moon's orbit. I have seen dozens of shooting stars and this is by far the largest and most spectacular event I have witnessed. If it had hit the earth it would have made a global event - guessing of course. Virna, my son Cameron and I were in awe and discussed it for some time. Thank you. Randy and Virna Thank you all!

Any other sighting reports? Please report: Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you! 2011 The Year of Meteors!