14 November 2011

UK Bolide Meteor 13NOV2011

Tiverton, Devon,UK19:40 Bolide Meteor 13NOV2011
viewed from garden....direction south to north,....approx 10 x brighter than venus,.... approx time visable 2 seconds, ...colour green/orange ....im 41 and this is the brightest i have ever seen! glad to have caught it. -Trevor Ruby  Thank you Trevor!

Stockbridge Hampshire UK. Bolide Meteor 19:45 13NOV2011
Stockbridge Hampshire UK. 19:45 coming out of Stockbridge heading due west I noticed what first looked like a helicopter heading toward the Middle Wallop helicopter base from the South.
The meteor was heading north and moving very fast! It looked about the size of a small car and was a brilliant white. the trajectory and height was such that it looked like it was heading toward the M4 motorway but may have stopped short due to a sudden loss of altitude.
Nothing appears to be online about this as of yet. the news channels haven't reported anything yet either. -Bret Robinson  Thank you Bret!

South Kilworth, UK. 19:45 13NOV2011
I'd like to report a possible meteor event in/near the south Leicestershire village of South Kilworth, UK. The event occurred at approximately 19:45 above or slightly to the west of South Kilworth. The meteor was travelling from a southerly direction heading north and broke apart at low altitude close to the village. The meteor had a faint greenish tinge, and was relatively slow compared to other meteors I've seen during recent showers. The meteor looked to break apart or have distinct debris trail as it came into view, as we travelled along the A4304 from Market Harborough towards Lutterworth. We spotted the meteor as we approached the village of South Kilworth from a distance of half a mile, and estimate that it broke apart under 5000ft within 1-2 miles of the village. Although it is difficult to judge distances at night and with fast moving objects, but these are my best guesses. There wasn't any other meteor type object in the sky, or any fireworks being fired and the tell tail sounds associated with them, especially afterwards as we remained outside the car for 10 minutes. I strongly doubt a false sighting as a firework, as the meteor was travelling in a straight line towards the ground - not an arc/crescent trajectory as expected with a ground fired rocket. Did anyone else see anything at this time or location in the sky above South Kilworth? How would I find out if the authorities tracked the object?
Andy B (Rugby)  Thank you Andy!

Lambourn, Berkshire, UK Meteor approx. 19:40 13NOV2011
Saw from Garden from about 245 to 270 deg tracking S to N around 35 down to 20 deg elevation
As with the tiverton rpt around 10X brighter than Venus distinct green,yellow,orange components looked to break into 3 or 4 close spaced segments a fraction of a second before fading. And duration of slightly more than 2 seconds If I had to describe how I imagined a large space junk re-entry event to look this would fit. FYI I happened to be on my roof fixing an antenna at the time and was looking directly at the object When it entered. I had a perfect view For scale if I hold my hand at arm’s length then the track width appeared half the width of my little finger. Entry speed seemed considerably slower than a “normal” zip and its gone meteor but much much faster than an aircraft. There were NO sounds heard. If I had to guess with the angles the object entered over the far SW of England perhaps Devon or Cornwall counties Possibly out over the English channel/Atlantic. Obviously guessing as I have no idea of the true size of the object but it was quite spectacular and very bright. Cheers, Shayne Jones  Thank you Shayne!

South Wales, UK Meteor 19.45 13NOV2011
Sighted from a small village called Ynysddu this evening. It was much much brighter than venus, and about half the size of the moon relative to where I was, and lasted about two seconds until falling behind the horizon with a soft blue tail light...it crossed the sky from South to West. First meteor I've ever seen, and it was absolutely beautiful. -Josh Cox Thank you Josh!

Maesteg, Wales 19:15 PM approx 13NOV2011
A fireball lasting about 2 seconds and fading away was seen on 13/11/11. Time is approximate - between 19:00 and 19:30hrs Possibly North West of Maesteg (Near Bridgend, Wales). Please could you tell me what it was I saw? Kind Regards, Geraint Thank you Geraint!

M4 towards Bristol from Swindon Bright Green Fireball 7:33 PM 13NOV2011
Driving along M4 towards Bristol from Swindon saw very bright fireball cross Motorway from South to North . Time 7.33 pm lasted about 5 seconds Fireball had greenish tinge to it, brightest I have ever seen. -Robert C.  Thank you Robert!

Near Newport After M4 Bridge UK heading West to South Wales 13th November 2011 Approx 19:00 - 19:30
Approx 19:00 to 19:30. Heading to South Wales from Bristol along M4 and saw a light (no tail). Pointed out to my wife and then realised it was travelling fast South to North (ish, I was driving). Suddenly 'burned out' like a meteor with a long greenish tail I think the whole thing appeared green before burnout. descending but fairly horizontal IMO. Not a firework IMO. Episode lasted approx 2 - 5 seconds -WP Thank you WP!

Feniton, Devon, UK Green Meteor ~7:30 pm 13NOV2011
I saw meteor or fireball last night (Sunday 13 November) at approx 7.30pm from my garden in Feniton, Devon, in the western sky. It lasted approximately a second but was the brightest object of this type that I have seen in my entire 45 years! Stunning! Before it faded there was a touch of green light to it. Didn't think anyone else would have seen it but so chuffed to see not the only one! -Steve Upsher  Thank you Steve!

M4 West bound, at about 7:30pm
Whilst driving to Cardiff last night along the M4 West bound, at about 7:30pm, I saw a huge streak across the sky, from South to North, slower moving than the shooting stars i have seen and a lot bigger (closer?) it was very bright even though visibility in the sky was quite poor. It burned white then turned a luminous green, lasting a good 3 seconds before fading out. - MB

Shaftsbury, UK Meteor ~7:40 pm 13NOV2011
I live South West of Salisbury near Shaftsbury and approx 7:40 on Sun 13th Nov I saw a bright light directly overhead heading North West. From where I live I would estimate it was travelling in the direction of Bristol/Gloucester. It was the largest natural object I've seen at night and it was pure brilliant white like an arc lamp with a bluish tint to the front and a whitish tail behind (Presumably breaking up?). It was in view long enough for me to say to a neighbour 'look at that' and point, so probably lasted two or three seconds. What was unusual is that it appeared to be travelling parallel to the ground and though travelling fast it was much slower than any shooting stars I've ever seen. The skies were clear and I would estimate that it was actually quite low. The village I live in has no street lights or light polution so is ideal for star gazing. Glad I was in the right place at the right time to have seen this one. -Tony  Thank you Tony!

Devon, UK 1930UTC 13th November 2011
A greenish body, slightly elongated, with a tail, which I spotted towards the northwest of my location (Farringdon, Devon) at an elevation of roughly 45 degrees. It was much brighter and bigger than any shooting star I have seen before - to give an idea of brightness, I thought first of all it was a firework. Lasted about 2 seconds after I first spotted it, moving straight and downwards with an apparent trajectory of about 30 degrees off horizontal. -Edward Carroll  Thank you Edward!

Loughborough, UK, 13/11/2011, 19:36.
Looking due West I was fortunate enough to see what was presumably the same object noted by Andy (and maybe others). Significantly brighter than anything I’d expect to see and faster moving (quite used to “lights in the sky” in that view thanks to the proximity to East Midlands Airport); must only have been a few seconds before it was lost from view behind (single storey) houses. Direction it was heading in must have been north of west, though by how much was hard to be sure, and the trajectory certainly appeared to be heading “down” so to speak – so either truly descending or very high up. Definite implication of colour – though oddly what struck me was the fact that colour was there rather than exactly what the colour was, which sounds odd but there you go!  One final point is that a few seconds after the event there was a rumble; whether that was truly associated with the object itself is impossible to say.-Paul.  Thank you Paul!


We need your meteor sighting reports; thank you:
Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you! 2011 The Year of Meteors!